Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Frankenstein-ish

Why is it that when we are in public, Lauren all but refuses to walk? She hangs on my leg, sits, crawls, will hold my finger and walk, but ask her to walk on her own and she gives you this, "I can't do that you crazy woman!" look. I'm not crazy, I swear. John has seen her walk, Rebecca has seen her, our parents have seen her and so have most all in-laws. When strangers ask, as they often do, if she can walk, I tell them, "When she wants to. Crawling moves her faster." If they have children, they nod knowingly and walk on. If they have no children, they just shake their head in disbelief. Trust me. She walks. And one day, you'll see her do it.
The best way I can describe her walk, is like Frankenstein. She walks stiff legged, swinging her legs around rather than bending at the knee, and V-E-R-Y slowly. I know. I'm not criticizing her. I'm just telling you what I see, and what I see is a beautiful child who LOOKS nothing like Frankenstein, (you know, she's not grey, has no bolts in her neck, needs no lightening to be brought to life) but walks just like him. Walks I tell ya'. She really does it.

No comments: