Monday, March 29, 2004

Dirty

Our little girl was actually dirty for the first time this weekend. I know it is the first of many times that her hands will be black and her knees will be crusty. Until now, she was "dirty" under her chin from formula, on her bottom from, well, you know what, or on her face and arms from whatever food she was eating. The kind of dirt I am now talking about is actual DIRT. I cleaned her off with a wet wipe before she sat in her car seat. I wonder how long that will last. I bet not long. John is not a fan of his "little girl" getting dirty but I assured him that for about the next 15 years she would be dirty and to get used to it. I know what he means though. The thought of scraped knees and elbows, bumps on the head, dirt in the mouth. None of those thoughts thrill me either and I too want to protect her, but here comes the dirty finger nails, dirt in her hair and ears, stains on clothes from grass and very little we can do to stop the growing up process. Not that we want to entirely, but here comes a new stage again and just when we were trying to get used to the fact that age one is fast approaching.

No comments: